Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Monday, June 22, 2015

I thought I was not a writer!

When I was a little girl in elementary school, (thought you might enjoy seeing how I used to look!)


I distinctly remember that I could not write stories, nor could I spell.  I had long since decided that I could not write by the time I left 6th grade!



When it came to creative writing,  I remember sitting at my small desk in either 3rd or 4th grade, we had been asked to write a story.  Spending most of the allotted time agonizing for ideas, and thinking about what to write, (Sometimes I still have this problem!  You too?)  I would look everywhere around the room to see something that would hopefully spark an idea.  After wasting all my time, I would turn in a paper with, maybe, one line written on it.

As it turns out, it was discovered that I am dyslexic.  It manifested most in my reading.  Everything would get turned around in my brain, and I would read "saw" as "was" etc.   Reading slowly trying to discern what I was seeing,  I never really finished a book.   Mostly I "improvised" on every book report that I was required to do, reading a little of the front and middle and then reading the ending to get by.  I still experience a reversal of letters when I type fast, I have to check my writing carefully. Thank heaven for spell check!



Today, I write constantly, although I can't say that my mind is always full of stories, but I have acquired a system whereby the stories do flow, once I start.  That's the way it happened, with my first novel, it sort of 'flowed' from my mind and, nearly, wrote itself!  ;) (Of course you know, that is an over exaggeration, since writing is mostly hard work and discipline!)

3 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful picture of you as a child! Love your smile!
    I'm glad you did not let dyslexia get in the way of your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very interesting story of your childhood and dyslexia. Thank you for sharing it. I wish you the very best in your writing. Although I have never experienced dyslexic tendencies in writing I certainly had a disability in short attention span, issues in math, etc. and think I was ADD as my youngest child was diagnosed with ADHD. I went into writing seriously in 1974 when our oldest girl was four, writing poetry, devotions and prose, but later got into writing fiction which I love too. I wrote a fictional story when I was in 6th grade and my teacher liked it so well, he encouraged me to go into writing when I grew up. Now, I love writing fiction and have still a few chapters to finish on my own novel based on my 30+ years of genealogy research on my German Russian paternal grandfather's family from Odessa, Russia. Later through the years I found out their background was German Jewish as well as their long legacy from living in Russia. Long history and long story, but still working on it. Best to you with yours, and your writing. (Joyce E. Mannhalter/Johnson).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet photo!

    I think my spelling hasn't improved since elementary school, and it was pretty poor then. I haven't let it stop me from enjoying writing, though. (But maybe it has impacted other's ability to enjoy what I wrote...)

    Interestingly, I was just reading about the concept of 'flow' a few minutes ago. I think it can definitely apply to writing, even though it can also be hard work!

    ReplyDelete