Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

burdened beyond hope?

Yesterday, I really felt discouraged. I couldn't make myself do anything, just sat on the couch and read a book. If I didn't read, I would cry. I knew that I should get off the couch and do something!  I just couldn't.  I knew enough to know that I could fall into depression and stay there awhile, but I was striving hard not to!  What do you do when life hands you discouragements?

Sometimes the discouragement gets blown out of proportion, and begins to take on a life of its own. I started down that road, thinking that it must of been something that I had done, years ago, that caused this disagreeable action now.  But I knew better.  This discouragement was not one that I chose, someone else chose it, and it wasn't what I had done that caused it.  People have a free will of their own! Regardless of who made the choice, it still hurts!  It hurts me, it hurts them.

Why am I telling you this?  I don't know.  Hopefully when you are handed discouragements--things that you never expected--you will think clearer than I did yesterday.  Don't give in to it.  Pop back up with hope like the psalmist of old:

Why am I discouraged?
Why so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
I will praise him again — 
my Savior and my God! 
Ps 43:5 NLT



5 comments:

  1. Something my pastor always says - it comes to mind often - we are disillusioned because we have had illusions - illusions are not real

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what this is like, and all I can say is that momentum is a powerful force. You either let the depression and negative thoughts spiral and take over your life, or you start a momentum in a different, positive direction. Force yourself into a course of action...action is so important!...and let that ball roll to another action and another, however small that action may be...in a positive direction. It might be as small as taking a walk (or even just taking a shower if depression is really bad), or sending an email, or cleaning off your desk. It's all you can really do when life feels out of your control...to decide that this thing isn't going to break you. It's much easier said than done, but it always starts with changing one bad thought to a different one, or saying "this thing sucks, but so what" and moving on to better action. Sending you positive vibes and encouragement and hoping today is better than yesterday. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that it always takes time to process discouragements. There's something like a grieving process, and that's okay. As long as it is a process and you move through it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just a life lesson
    we all deal with this is a different way
    I came out of a horrible situation about 8 years ago and I promised after that I would never let myself get down and depressed again.
    Every day I am thankful that I am having a good day and thankful for what I have

    Hope you can shake it off soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Linda it's me Myrtle, we lived up at Sugar Loaf Mt. in 1982. I hope all is well with you, I left a message on FB for you.Please give me a call sometime I would love to catch up.

    ReplyDelete