Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Tharps Log


Thursday throwback taste of my life:

Writing some segments for our family foundations/legacy book today.  My Facebook feed prompted my writing when a cousin posted a picture of a fallen tree. Rains are pelting California and Oregon right now and the amount of water was just too much for the old tree with shallow roots.  It was a huge Sequoia tree in Calavaras County that was a tourist attraction.  It had a cut out in the bottom of the living tree, that you could drive a car thru! I'm sure my mom still has a picture, somewhere, of us when we visited there. I was there, with my family as a youngster, but what it reminded me of was another fallen tree in Sequoia National Park. 

I have an old photo taken in July 1959 of that tree--called Tharpes Log--with my mom and my aunt sitting on a log fence in front of the "residence" made of another huge Sequoia tree.  The photo is quite old, and you will need to look closely to see the constructed portion with a rock fireplace behind my mom.  It's butted up to the base of the fallen tree.  I have been in that summer grazing land shelter and found it fascinating!  It reminded me of all the happy hours we spent as a family, camping in the summer, and exploring the National Parks.  For the rest of the story, you will have to wait for the book to be finished!  
Thanks for visiting today!      


3 comments:

  1. Seems a shame to lose the tree. At least it was due to natural causes - not down to someone cutting it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trees and it is sad to see them fall to either deterioration or destroyed by man. I love your photo and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah - big tree and cool photo! I've never seen any of those giants, but my parents visited just a couple of months before my dad's passing.

    ReplyDelete