Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Simple?

I strive for a simple year, this sabbatical "year", but I realize it will be anything but simple!
(for a little background see this post.)

First, there are the reactions of friends and acquaintances.  I run the risk . . .er . .  'the fact' of some not understanding.  Their first question might be: "Why?"  while they are probably thinking: "She's crazy!"  They more than likely are thinking of themselves in this situation, that they will miss my participation, and what are they going to do in my absence. I worry about that too, as I do not want to leave them 'understaffed', so to speak. I do understand that this concept of taking oneself 'away from it all' is a little different.  Society, these days, seems to dictate that we need to be part of a community to be complete.  That we are just a specific cog in the works! And we are nothing, if we are not a part of the group!  I reject the thought that I am not of value if I don't conform, if I 'm not a blender in the group.  ( My quilter persona  shows here--blender fabric!) So much for my rant.

Second, it will be hard for me to change my ways.  We all get into ruts,  and I have been falling into a path that is actually not leading me in the right direction.  I have been frustrated, stymied, and bored.  I knew it was leading nowhere, but didn't want to face stopping.  Then what would I do?  Where would I go?  I am a doer.  I can't be idle, or so I thought.

Well, how do I begin?  Today I sat on my upstairs patio for breakfast and started my day watching the blue jays, finches and robins in the tree tops.  Quite refreshing really.  Listening to their calls, watching the pine needles sway with their inhabitants activities.


So begins my sabbatical . . . . Day One.


4 comments:

  1. I'd say you've made an excellent beginning to your sabbatical -- birds are wonderful for helping us to relax and see the joys that abound in our world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! And the more we watch, the more we see! Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful view you have from your upstairs patio! I feel relaxed, just looking at your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Returning to Nature recharges my batteries -- perhaps because I am a farm girl at heart -- I always loved being outside. One of my favorite places as a young girl was a climbable weeping willow tree at the edge of our garden. I could sit in a comfortable spot and read in the shade with the soothing sound of the wind in the willows. I think you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete